Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Doing the Right Thing and Closing the Door on Inaction

Photo by Staff Sgt. Stephen Schester Niagara Dining Facility, Kandahar Airfield
By SPC Ariel Solomon

A few weeks ago I was in the dining facility waiting in line. I noticed a fridge door hadn't closed all the way after a Soldier had pulled a drink from it. It's silly to think that I hesitated to leave the line for a moment to close the door. After I closed the door, the interpreter who had been behind me let me back in and complemented me, saying he wished more people took initiative like that.

I think about that, and the more I do, the more it bothers me. Why did I hesitate to do something so simple? Why was it so noteworthy that I got thanked for doing the right thing? How much time, energy and expense would it save if people just took initiative on the little things? What other things are we just walking by? All these questions have been plaguing my mind since then.

I had seen it left open before that day and did nothing. I've also seen it open since and also did nothing. Like a sheep I just went along with what everyone else was doing, not taking the two seconds it would take to close it.

It doesn't mean we're wrong, but it does mean we aren't doing the best that we could be. I'd like to begin setting a pattern in my life to do things like this, pick up a piece of trash or close a door that shouldn't be left open, or turn off the facet while shaving even when there isn't a water shortage.

I believe that we all should do what is best in every situation. We won't always make it, and we won't always be right. As long as we try, we're always working toward the goal of being the best person we can be.

No comments:

Post a Comment